recently i had the honor of delivering the commencement speech to the students graduating from the usc viterbi school of engineering in 2015. this was a momentous day for the students – and the fact that it rained in southern california during their comments only made it that much more novel 🙂
complacency is the enemy of achievement – so get comfortable being uncomfortable
- seek mentors to help you navigate through uncomfortable situations
- in general, people want to help and pay it forward.
- spend time with and talk with non-engineers. build understanding and empathy of others that are not like you
- as a ceo of composite software, i built empathy around the challenges of sales and the importance of understanding the difference in a sales culture vs eng culture.
- seek diverse perspectives – unlearn what you have learned
- building a mobile operating system (webOS) is very different that rebuilding an online service like twitter
- keep building regardless of your age or experience – once a builder – always a builder
- i always have had a side project that i am building…
your biggest risk is pursuing a journey whereby you are too comfortable
thanks for listening!